Wednesday, January 11, 2012

big twin flattie


I picked up a 1938 UL motor from a guy in Ohio. Right now i'm just waiting for parts to get here to put the rotating assembly together and then Loco and i will button up the bottom end.


The cases on 36-39 big twins have a sprocket and pinion race that doesn't permit line-honing, the fix is to machine out the extra steel so a later bearing race will push through. So, i took the left side over to Sluggo's Garage and we drilled the steel webbing out a million times and then i hand finished it with a file and die grinder. (if anyone reading this is a machinist, just close your eyes and skip to the bottom)

Here's some pics after the "machining":


More to come...


2 comments:

dirk said...

I know right?! I was sweating bullets drilling into a 74 year old piece of metal. I'm really happy with how it turned out though.

grant said...

wow, i think i'll just leave my '37 case as is!